Happy International Chili Day! In my house everyday could be Chili day. It is the easiest slow cooker meal to make and there are so many different variations. You can make it your own and get creative with ingredients and toppings. This vegetarian chili was something I made based on what I had in the house. That is probably how I create most of my recipes…hehe. Check out the recipe below and remember you can switch out beans to other beans, add meat, add fake meat, add more spice, add less spice.
Have fun with it and stick with the main chili making ingredients: Beans, Tomatoes, Onions
- 15.5 oz can organic black beans WASHED with cold water so you don’t toot all night long
- 15.5 oz can diced tomato (no salt added preferred)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes chopped and peeled
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 2 cups frozen organic spinach
- 2 cups frozen organic mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 tsp. garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, onion powder, salt, pepper, curry powder
- Optional: Sliced Jalapeno and Lime Wedge + Sprinkle of Cheese
Add all the above into slow cooker pot and season. Option to add tbsp. hot sauce to make it spicier. Turn to low and slow for 4-6 hours. Stir occasionally and season more to taste.