You can have a delicious taco dinner while keeping it on the healthy side. This recipe is a meatless version, but you can certainly replace the fake meat crumbles with real ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken. This recipe makes 4 packed tortillas.
- Fake Meat crumbles (6-8 oz.)
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced
- Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese (1-2 tbsp. per tortilla)
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cholula/Hot Sauce of your choice
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (1 tsp. each)
- Peel and dice the sweet potato into small baby chunks. Place in bowl with salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Coat well and then spread onto foil lined baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. While the sweet potato is cooking, start prepping your other ingredients.
- Dice red bell pepper and set to the side.
- Dice tomatoes into small chunks and set to the side.
- Dice onion and place in large saute pan with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Cook on medium-low for 2-3 minutes then add in bell peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add “meat” crumbles to onion mixture in saucepan and cook per instructions. If you using real meat cook in separate pan until cooked fully, then add to onion mix. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. (about 1 tsp. each, season to taste!)
- Place tortillas on large baking sheet and sprinkle cheese on top of each tortilla. Place in oven for 3 minutes or until you see cheese fully melted.
- Remove tortillas from oven and layer sweet potato, raw tomatoes, onion pepper and meat mixture, and hot sauce. Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top and enjoy!