Putting a hot dinner on the table can be struggle enough, but add a barking dog and hungry toddler to the mix and you have yourself a struggle party!
Watch the video below to see my hot mess of an evening and learn how to make something delicious and QUICK! This took me about 30 minutes, and I am sure without interruptions you could make this even faster. Hope you enjoy and I also hope this helps a multi tasking parent or person like myself.
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 large vidalia onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. grass fed butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 bell pepper diced (I used yellow, but whatever you have on hand works!)
- 1/2 can of black olives (usually a 6 oz can)
- 1-2 cups frozen organic spinach (you can use raw spinach if you it, in which case 3-4 large handfuls)
- Red Wine 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils *optional for more protein
- 1 box lentil pasta (For this recipe I used Green Lentil Rotini)
- Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Onion Powder (1 tsp of each – taste test for your preference)
In a large sauce pan heat up 2-3 tbs olive oil
Add diced onion with minced garlic and on medium low heat stir together for 2-3 minutes. Be sure to not burn the garlic!
While the onion and garlic are cooking, boil your pasta according to the directions on the box.
If you are adding lentils to your sauce, cook that now too. I usually have some cooked in the fridge so I added it to this meal, not a necessity though.
Dice your pepper and add to onion mixture along with butter. Add in diced tomato and tomato paste and blend all ingredients together. Add in spinach, olives, seasonings and red wine.
Stir sauce every few minutes and cook on low for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste.
Keep your eyes on the lentil pasta and strain and leave to the side until sauce is cooked through.
In large bowl combine the sauce and lentil pasta. Option to add parmesan cheese or sprinkle of feta.
Serve warm and enjoy!