When I don’t feel like cooking, this is what I cook. I am also trying to order out less and save some money and all of these ingredients are inexpensive and will last a long time. You can of course go with fresh options, but bags of frozen organic veggies will last you a longer time and cost less money.
- 1 bag of organic frozen mixed mushrooms
- 1 bag of organic frozen spinach
- 1/2 sweet onion diced (you can also pre-chop and freeze to save time in the future)
- 1 bag brown or wild rice (I buy the bags that are frozen that can be microwaved unless you want to spend some more time and cook traditional brown rice which typically takes 30-45 minutes 1 bag makes about 2 cups cooked rice)
- Olive Oil 2-3 tbs.
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can organic black beans
- fresh parsley
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste
- optional: feta or goat cheese crumbles
- In large saute pan add 2 tbs olive oil, crushed or minced garlic and onions. Saute for about 3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove from heat and place in bowl.
- Microwave the rice or start cooking the rice, depending on what you have on hand.
- In same saute pan, add in frozen spinach, mushrooms, and drizzle a tbs. of olive oil over and stir for a few minutes. Once they become more “unfrozen” add onion and garlic mixture.
- Add in lemon juice and after rinsing the black beans add in the pan as well. Continue to stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice and seasonings. Zest entire lemon into mix and turn off heat.
- Place mixture into large bowl and add in fresh parsley and optional cheese crumbles. They will melt nicely when dish is still hot.