I am always messing around with new veggie burger recipes. This one is packed with protein and while slightly time consuming, you can freeze and save for the weeks ahead. Way tastier than those pre-made frozen (overpriced) veggie burgers you buy at the store.
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
2 cloves garlic
1/2 white onion
3 small sweet potatoes (3 cups chopped)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
salt/pepper/paprika/red pepper flakes
- Chop walnuts and toast on frying pan for 2-3 minutes on low simmer. Toast lightly, then place in bowl to the side.
- Dice garlic and onion and saute with 1 tbs. of coconut oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add to bowl with walnuts.
- In a large boiling pot add peeled and chopped sweet potato. Cook on medium boil until softened. (10 minutes or so.)
- While potatoes are cooking, rinse and drain the cans of beans. In a large bowl mash the beans. Not to oblivion – but so small pieces are still visible of the beans.
- Mash sweet potato in separate bowl and add in 1/4 cup melted coconut oil. Add in onion and walnut mixture as well as chopped jalapeno and 1/2 cup almond meal.
- Add in the bean mixture and blend all together into one big mush. Add in salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes and 1 tbs. of worceshire, soy sauce and hot sauce for added spice.
- Lastly chop up 1/2 cup of fresh parsley and add to mix.
- Form into patties and bake for 30-35 minutes on 350 degrees flipping halfway through.