I have a little bit of an obsession with my slow cooker. I use it at least 2x a week and without fail enjoy warm and delicious meals that involve very little work.
Sidenote: The timing and settings may vary depending on the type of slow cooker your use, with that being said everyone should go out and get the Ninja Slow Cooker. (I am not just saying that because I work for the company, I SWEAR!) Seriously, amazing.
One of my go-to chicken recipes to make in the slow cooker is a whole chicken with sweet potato, carrot and onion. This is a very easy meal to put together and is perfect to make right before leaving the house. Nothing sweeter than coming home to a whole cooked chicken after a long days work.
What You Need:
5 lb. chicken
1 large sweet onion
2 large sweet potatoes
1-2 cups of baby carrots
2-3 Garlic Cloves
2 tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Rosemary, Thyme, Onion Powder, Red Pepper Flakes
What To Do:
- Lay baby carrots across bottom of slow cooker pot
- Rinse chicken off with water and pat down with paper towel.(make sure to remove any neck/gizzards etc. from inside the chicken)
- Lay chicken on top of carrots
- Cut sweet potato into large chunks and place around the chicken, do the same with the onion
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and surrounding veggies
- Place garlic cloves inside the chicken
- Season both sides of the chicken with seasonings listed above (don’t be afraid to coat the whole chicken with these seasonings- a lot will cook into the veggies too!)
- Add balsamic vinegar to the pot
- Place slow cooker on LOW (about 8 hours) if you want sooner place on HIGH (4 hours)
- Wait patiently … and then FEAST