I had been hearing about the Matcha Tea Craze for a few months now, but had never tried it myself. I attempted to get some at the local Starbucks, but the woman told me it has sugar in it and it came out of box. I had something “fresher” and less processed in mind, so I decided to take things into my own hands.
I bought a tin of organic ground matcha powder and did a little research, and here is what I found:
- Matcha contains amino acids that help your body to process caffeine differently than coffee and creates a state of calm alertness.
- One serving of matcha has less caffeine than coffee, it provides a less jittery, more sustained energy boost and you will not feel that caffeine crash. Matcha also contains L-Theanine which can improve focus and helps you concentrate.
- Compared to coffee, Matcha features much higher levels of antioxidants, which protect against disease and aging. It contains 1573 ORAC units (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) per 1 serving. This makes it one of the best sources of antioxidants in the world!
- Matcha helps boost metabolism and burns fat by increasing thermogenesis (up to 40%), the rate at which your body burns calories.
- Matcha tea contains catechins, which is a unique type of antioxidant with potent cancer-fighting properties.
After reading those facts, how can you NOT want to try some of this amazing tea?
I ended up making a HOT Matcha Latte and it was SO easy and SO tasty!
What you need:
- Unsweetened Organic Almond Milk
- Organic Matcha Powder
What you do:
- Boil water
- Take 1 tsp. of matcha powder in place in coffee cup.
- Add 3 tbs. of boiled water to cup and mix with electric frother until blended.
- Boil 1 1/2 cups of almond milk and add to mixture. Froth all ingredients together.
**You can add sugar to this if you feel the need, but a dash of cinnamon on top does the trick for me! Hope you enjoy ! **