Growing up I loved when my Dad would make nachos. He called it the”explosion at the taco factory”. It was made layer by layer with cheese, veggies, meat, and of course nacho chips. Here is my healthier spin on what I grew up with…
- 2 Plantains
- 1 medium Sweet Potato
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 Lime
- Hot sauce
- 1 yellow pepper
** To save time, you can buy pre-made plantain chips or sweet potato chips. Make sure to read the label and look for simple ingredients ex: plantain/oil/salt or sweet potato,oil,salt.**
- Slice plantains and sweet potatoes into thin slices.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking pan with olive oil or coconut oil. Place slices on pan(s) and season with salt and pepper. Spray each side with oil. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake on other side for another 15-20 minutes.
- While chips are baking begin chopping all other ingredients.
- Once chips are done baking begin spreading your chopped ingredients (except cilantro, limes and hot sauce) over the chips. Place in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Pull out after 10 minutes and squeeze fresh lime juice and cilantro. Drizzle hot sauce over chips to your liking.
- EAT and ENJOY
Remember, this version of nachos is much healthier than store bought chips. With that being said.. plantain and sweet potato is carb heavy so stick to one or two platefuls 🙂