I love slow cooker recipes, but I also like “slow cooker” recipes that don’t have to be slowly cooked. Yes there are chilis and sauces that taste better when cooked over a longer period of time, but when time is not on your side you can throw together a delicious chili in a matter of 30 minutes!
I got home around 8:00 PM last night and threw this together for me and my husband. Chili is wonderful because you can throw in whatever veggies or beans you have on hand. Here is what I had in my pantry:
- 1 lb of farm raised (thank you farmer’s market!) ground turkey
- 1 organic yellow pepper
- 1 organic weet vidalia onion
- 2 cans of organic black beans
- 1 can of organic red kidney beans
- 1 large can of organic *no salt added* crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium can of organic*no salt added* diced tomatoes
- 1 package of organic Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1-2 cups of diced butternut squash
- Olive Oil
- Spices: Salt,pepper,cayenne,paprika,onion powder, garlic powder,chili flakes
Heat up a large cooking pot and cook the ground turkey halfway through with seasonings and olive oil. While it is cooking you can chop and prep all the other ingredients. I suggest chopping the butternut squash up into smaller pieces so it cooks faster. Throw everything into the pot and cover for 25 minutes. Make sure to stir is around occasionally.
Side note: I ended up slicing avocado and throwing on top of my bowl of finished chili and then squeezed fresh lime all over it and it was AMAZING.
Feel free to replace any of the ingredients above with what you have in your fridge. Some veggies cook faster or longer so keep that in mind. Enjoy!